AIM AND SCOPE OF THE JOURNAL
UMYU Journal of Microbiology Research (UJMR) is an official journal of the Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Natural and Applied Sciences, Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina. UJMR is an international journal dedicated to publishing original research works, technical reports, and critical reviews on a broad range of topics of general interest in areas of Medical, Environmental, Industrial, Agricultural, Public health, Food, and other aspects of Microbiology, Biological Sciences, and Biochemistry.
PREPARATION OF MANUSCRIPT
Manuscripts should be readable and computer typed in the English Language on white A4 paper, portrait, double spaced throughout leaving 1’’ wide margin on both sides and the content should appear in the following order: Title (in Title case), author(s) Name and address (es), abstract, introduction, materials and methods, results, tables/figures, discussions, conclusions recommendations, acknowledgment, and references.
Articles should be prepared in MS word format in Times New Roman (12 font size),and should not exceed 12 pages. Any additional page attracts an extra charge.
Title of the Manuscript
The title must be written in the sentence case, reflect the content of the manuscript,and must not be more than 30 words. E.g.:“The Role of TLR-4 on the Mapkinases Signaling Pathways of Inflammatory Responses against Recombinant BCG Malaria Vaccine Candidate”
Authors should be listed with their surnames followed by the initial of other names. Affiliations should be stated after the author’s names. The author for correspondence should be indicated by an asterisk and his e-mail address should beprovided. E. g
*1Tijjani, R. J., 2Yahaya, O. and 2Inabo, H. I.
1Departmemt of Microbiology, Kaduna State University, Kaduna, Nigeria.
2Departmemt of Microbiology, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.
The abstract should be concise and informative containing briefly the aims and how the work was done, the results obtained, and conclusions in not more than 350 words.
Keywords – As the keywords are used for cross-referencing indexing, provide a maximum of 6 most relevant Keywords/termsfound in the title or abstract. The keywords should beseparated by a semi-colon.
The introduction should be specific and relevant to the research, describing the problem statement, the state of the current work in the relevant field, the objectives and hypotheses being tested, and the contribution of your findings to the existing knowledge in the relevant field.
Materials and methods
This should be standard, concise, and relevant up-to-date details. State the reagents, types of equipment, software, etc used in the research. Provide detailed information on the various stages/steps of the methodology/experimental designand statistical methods used in data analysis.
Results should bewell presentedwith tables and figures orderly arranged. Avoid duplication of information in the table, figures, or text.
- Tables: should containbrief title shown on their top and written in sentence case and bolded; should be self-explanatory (Place table explanations in the footnotes of the table); numbered consecutively in the order of their mention in the text (egTable 1, then Table 2,).
- Figures: should contain brief title shown below them and written in sentence case and bolded with appropriate legend; numbered consecutively in the order of their mention in the text (egFigure 1, then Figure 2,).
The discussion should be concise and not a repetition of results. Focus on the work presented, scientific interpretation of results, and their relationships with other relevant recently published works.
Point out the main result(s) obtained that differ from previous recent works and thus deserve publication.
UJMR uses APA system of referencing. Referencescited in the text must be recent and must be listed under the reference list.
- Example of in-text citation: “A number of studies have shown increased LPS-induced JNK activation (Li et al., 2006; Hussey et al., 2013; Liang et al., 2013). Abdulkadir and Aliyu (2020) have reported similar findings.”
- Example of the reference list:
- For Journal: Fatima, , Mukhtar, G. L. and Inabo, H. I. (2015). Antibacterial Susceptibility Profile of Escherichia coli 0157:H7 from Shallow Wells in Some Parts of Katsina State, Nigeria. Biological and Environmental Sciences Journal for the Tropics 7(1): 62-69.
- For Books: Norman, T. J. (2004). Statistical Methods in Biology. Second edition, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom, pp.255-560
- For Book Chapter: Salisu B., and Abdulkadir B. (2013). Mycotoxin regulations in 2013 and current developments. In: Worldwide regulations for mycotoxins in food and feed in 2013. Rome: FAO Food and Nutrition; 2014. p. 1–
- For Thesis: Salisu B. (2017). Toxicological Studies, Phytochemical Screening, and Antimicrobial Activity of Stem Bark Extract of Boswellia dalzielii.Sc. Thesis. Department of Microbiology, Bayero University Kano, Nigeria.
- For Conference Proceeding: Salisu B., Anua M.S., Ishak W., Mazlan N., Lawal U. (2019). Bioburden and Phenotypic Characterisation of Mycotoxigenic Fungi Contaminating Commonly Consumed Food Grains in Katsina State, Nigeria. In: International Environment and Health Conference Malaysia. p. 48–
- For articles from Organizations:WHO (2007). Guidelines on standard operatingproceduresforthelaboratorydiagnosisofHIV opportunistic infections. Retrievedfrom http://www.who.int/en.htm on 20th June, 2007.
Articles will be peer reviewed by at least two (2) different reviewers to ensure a high standard and the decision on acceptance of an article for publication will be based on the comments/recommendations of the reviewers. Upon acceptance of the article for publication, the corresponding author must submit the hard copies and CD versions of both the original and corrected manuscripts or through the Journal email and a publication fee of N15,000.00 (within Nigeria) or 80 USD (outside Nigeria).
Payment of Fees
Payments of article processing fee and publication fee should be made in the following account only:
- Account Name: UMYU Journal of Microbiology Research (UJMR)
- Account Number: 2099599544
- Bank: United Bank for West Africa (UBA), IBB Way Katsina, Nigeria.
The journal is biannual, published in June and December. All papers accepted for publication in UJMR will appear simultaneously in the print journal and online. The editors, therefore welcome submissions of original manuscripts that have not been published or considered elsewhere for publication.
ETHICS OF PUBLISHING IN UJMR
Authors should note that plagiarism and breach in research ethics are not tolerated by this Journal. Hence, all manuscripts submitted to UJMR are subjected to plagiarism checks before accepting for publication. Authors must not submit papers that are under review/consideration in other journals. Authors must fully acknowledge all sources of their information such as methodology, figures etc. Authors are responsible and liable to the content of their manuscripts.
Authorshipis restricted to persons whocontributed to the paper (egdesign and/or analysis and interpretation of the data/or drafting of the paper). All authors must review and approve the contents of the final version of the manuscript before submitting it for publication.
Conflict of Interest
The authors must declare a conflict of interest (if any) while submitting the final version of the manuscript for publication.
Authors are required to state contributions that do not justify authorship, but need to be acknowledged/disclosed; source of funding, technical or material support, etc.
By submitting a manuscript for publication in UMYU Journal of Microbiology Research (UJMR), authors have agreed on the copyright policy of UJMR which operates based on open access copyright policy (CCBY-NC 4.0 license) under which any person can copy, reuse or redistribute the published articles for any non-commercial purpose(s) provided that the author and the source of the article are properly cited.
Manuscript Withdrawal Policy of UMYU Journal of Microbiology Research (UJMR)
UMYU Journal of Microbiology Research (UJMR), reserves the right to retract any published articlewhen there is suspected plagiarism or any scientific misconduct.The author can request for the withdrawal of manuscripts before or after publishing via a formal written request addressed to the Editor-in-Chief of UJMR with full justifications. Approvals for the withdrawal of manuscripts depends on the decision of the Editor-in-Chief and the editorial board of UJMR. There will be no refunds of article processing and /or Publication chargespaid to UJMR in the event of withdrawal of processed/published manuscript.