Dr.AbubakarBello is a Botanist (Plant Taxonomy and Molecular Systematics) at the Center for Biodiversity and Conservation, Department of Biology, UMYU Katsina. He has a keen interest in studies on evolution, speciation, biodiversity and conservation. He uses comparative analyses based on phylogenetic hypotheses as an approach. He studied the taxonomy, evolution and biogeography of legume tribe Psoraleeae with much emphasis on the genus PsoraleaL., (Fabaceae, 75 species). His contributions to science include the description of new species of legumes in Africa and the reporting of a previously unrecorded invasive species in Australia. His current research focuses on the taxonomy, evolution, biogeography and conservation of Nigerian legumes. He is currently running a project aimed at documentation of Katsina Flora on inaturalist(https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/katsina-flora)
Dr.Belloobtained a PhD in Botany from the University of Cape Town in 2016. M Sc. and B Sc.in Botany from Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, Nigeria, 2011 and 2005 respectively. He holds a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)in 2009 and completed his Secondary and Primary educationfrom GSSS Dutsinma in 2001 and Shehu Primary School,Funtua in 1992 respectively.
- Bello A., Stirton C.H., Chimphango SBM, Muasya AM (2018). Morphological evidence for introgressive hybridization in the genus PsoraleaL. (Psoraleeae, Fabaceae). South African Journal of Botany.In press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sajb.2018.02.407
- Bello A. Dludlu M.N., StirtonC.H. ChimphangoS.B.M. LemaireB. and Muasya A.M (2017). Biogeography of Southern African Legumes. Genome, 60: 912–913. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/gen-2017-0178
- Bello A., Stirton C.H., Chimphango SBM, Muasya AM (2017) Taxonomic revision of African Psoraleapinnata species complex (Psoraleeae, Leguminosae). South African Journal of Botany 112:128–179. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sajb.2017.05.003
- Daru B.H, van der Bank M., Bello A., Yessoufou K. (2016) Testing the reliability of the standard and complementary DNA barcodes for the monocot subfamily Alooideae from South Africa. Genome.https://dx.doi.org/10.1139/gen-2015-0183.
ACADEMIC AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- 2017. University of Johannesburg Student Travel grant. 7th International Barcode of Life Conference, South Africa. 20th -24th November, 2017.
- 2017. University of Cape Town, All Africa House Fellowship.
- 2015. JW Jagger Centenary Gift Scholarship.
- 2015. University of Cape Town Conference Travel Grant. 6th International Barcode of Life Conference. Guelph, Ontario, Canada. 18th –21st August, 2015.
- 2013. University of Cape Town Conference Travel Grant. Stellenbosch, 13th– 17th January 2014.
- 2012. University of Cape Town Conference Travel Grant. Johannesburg.7th – 11th January 2013.
- 2012. Nigeria Tertiary Education Trust Fund (NTETF) Overseas study fellowship and training.
- 2010. Federal Scholarship Board of Nigeria. 2010 Federal Scholarship award
Mobile Number +234 8032902780.