|STAFF PROFILE MATHEMATICS & COMPUTER SCIENCE|
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is one of the five pioneer departments in the Faculty of Natural and Applied sciences at inception. It was established in January 2007 and set up to offer two degree programmes - B. Sc. Mathematics and B. Sc. Computer Science. At inception (2006/2007) session, the department had a total number of 13 academic staff, 65 students for the B.Sc. Mathematics programme and 175 students for the B.Sc. Computer Science programme. Today, the department is one of the largest and vibrant department in the faculty.
The pioneer head of department is Habibullahi Aminu. He was succeeded by the following staff in the following order:
Hamisu Musa, Abubakar M. Gadu, Dr. Babagana A. Madu, Hamisu Musa, Anasu Rabe and Professor Abdelshakour Elsamahy. The current head of department is Dr. Aminu Adamu.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
Philosophy of the Programme
The philosophy of the B.Sc. Computer Science and B.Sc. Mathematics Programme is to produce graduates with the talents that tackle the computational problems of the Nigerian society and the world at large; through the acquisition of solid foundation and knowledge of the Mathematical Sciences, that is; the knowledge which nurtures confidence, zeal, and capacity for analytical problem and potential for research in the scientific age.
Objectives of the Programme
- To develop in the students the enabling capacity to create Mathematical models as solutions to various scientific and socio-economic problems.
- To produce competent Mathematics graduates for the Nigerian labour market and the world in general.
- To widen the knowledge base and enhance the capacity of students to address the general Mathematical problems of the pure and applied sciences.
- To prepare students intellectually to pursue postgraduate research studies in all areas of the Mathematical Sciences.
- Entrepreneurship: to produce graduates that are self-reliant
The computer science degree programme of the department of mathematics and computer science has the following objectives: to
- Give high level training in general computer Appreciation and Application.
- To develop high level computer programming skills of the various modern computer programming languages.
- Further popularize the importance of computer knowledge and its relevance to personal/national progress.
- Prepare students intellectually to pursue postgraduate research studies in all areas of computer science.