|STAFF PROFILE BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT|
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
Department of Biology is among the pioneer departments of the University which was established in January, 2007. The Department got full accreditation in 2009 by the National Universities Commission (NUC) for B.Sc. (Hons) Biology programme which is the only course being run currently by the Department. Presently, the Department has 25 Academic Staff made up of 4 Professors, 2 Associate Professors, 4 Senior Lecturers, 3 Lecturer I, 7 Lecturer II, 3 Assistant Lecturers and 2 Graduate Assistants. Others are 4 Technical/Laboratory staff and 2 Administrative staff.
The leadership of the Department started from its inception in January, 2007 with Malam Nuhu Abdullahi as Head of Department who was succeeded by Dr. Abrar Ahmad Khan in February, 2009 to March 2010. Dr. Kalimullah took over as the Head from Marc 2010 to December 2013. The present Head of department is Dr. Abdulhamid Ahmed whose tenure commenced in January, 2014.
The Department started with 77 students, who were admitted during the 2006/2007 Academic Session. Presently, the Department had over 350 students registered for the B.Sc Biology Programme. The Department also offer courses for students from the Departments of Biochemistry, Pure and industrial chemistry, Geography, Microbiology and Education.
The values of the Department include, among others, high academic quality and institutional discipline, a vibrant and dedicated team spirit, passion for fairness, firmness, thoroughness, hard work and reputation for quality of graduates in character and learning.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
Biology is a broad field of study linking many disciplines in science such as: Agriculture, Biochemistry, Genetics, Biotechnology, Medicine, Molecular biology, Pharmacy, Veterinary medicine, Plant pathology, Forestry and environmental matters.
The demand for man power with knowledge of Biology is no doubt high, especially in areas with high population concentration and vast ecological distribution such as Katsina state. Hence, the training offered by Biology department of Umaru Musa Yar’adua University is focused towards producing skilled manpower to address the immediate Biological demand of our area.
The main aim of B.Sc. Biology programme of Umaru Musa Yar’adua University Katsina is to train and produce qualitative graduates worthy in both character and learning, with necessary skills to partake in the dissemination of knowledge and conduct of researches in various disciplines of life sciences. This will ensure the building of our new generation for sound national identity, integrity and development.
The objectives of the programme are therefore:
- To train and produce skilled manpower capable of working in medical laboratories, food and pharmaceutical industries as well as teaching in our secondary and tertiary institutions.
- To train graduates capable of undertaking further studies and researches in disciplines like: medicine, food/nutrition, pharmacology, agriculture, horticulture, environmental conservation, pollution e.t.c.
- To train experts that can work with law makers to create new legislations on critical areas like, biomedical research, wild life and forest conservation as well as environmental protection.
- To produce graduates equipped with the capacity to use scientific methods to discover and process evidence that can be used for forensic purposes.
- To produce graduates with the relevant training and exposure to make meaningful contribution at home and in research institutes/establishments with strong biological background such as: National Institute for Trypanosome Research (NITR), National Veterinary Research Institute (NVRI), International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON), National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA).
- To train graduates who can use their acquired knowledge and skilled to develop plans which will help to improve the welfare of humanity.
- To produce graduates that are capable of taking up positions in establishments that provide scientific products and services to undertake research and test new products valuable to the human being.
- To produce entreprenually minded graduates that will be able to stand on their own to earn their living in the era of self reliance.